Vibration smart sensors are practical and functional additions to other smart home sensors. These powerful devices sense vibration, tilt, and drops and report these movements through connected devices and enabled alarms.
If you are wondering what you can do with a vibration sensor, users describe several applications that assist in home automation efficiency, including alerts when washers and dryers complete their cycles and enhancing security systems. The small size, low cost, and attractive appearance make it easy to use throughout the house.
Table of Contents
Why Do You Need A Vibration Smart Sensor?
The Aqara vibration smart home sensor is a versatile addition to your other home sensors and automation devices. Vibration sensors are often used to augment security. However, they can be used in many ways, such as turning lights on or off or reminding you that an appliance is running.
You can attach it to screen doors, sliding glass windows, or other objects to monitor movement. When it senses unusual movement, it notifies you through your smartphone or sounds an alarm. You can set it to trigger scenes and routines managed by other sensors connected to the Apple HomeKit or an Aqara Hub.
The small, compact design blends seamlessly with other objects and complements any home décor. The device can make almost anything smart—windows, screen doors, drawers, washing machines, refrigerators, liquor cabinets, and more.
You may use the vibration sensor in different ways:
- Install it on the mail slot inside a door. When mail is put through, it senses the tilt and notifies you.
- Although Aqara’s app does not trigger the absence of vibration, the HomeKit app does.
- Attach it to drawers to monitor access to important papers and valuables.
- Attach it to an office chair to trigger theme lighting for workdays and alternate themes for nights.
- Double tapping lets it function as a smart switch for lights or other attached appliances.
- Attach it to works of art or other valuables for immediate alerts of unusual activity.
Aqara Vibration Sensor Features
Like all of Aqara’s smart home devices, the Aqara vibration sensor is easy to install and use. It works with other Aqara smart home devices, including motion detectors, video cameras, and devices that monitor indoor climate and display real-time feeds on energy use.
The vibration sensor has a range of approximately 30 feet and it works with HomeKit and Android devices through the Aqara app, including Google Home, Alexa, and IFTTT.
You must have an Aqara Hub to use the device. Pairing is simple. Once the vibration sensor is installed, you can customize scenes.
- Wireless Zigbee communication protocol.
- Continues working if the Wi-Fi connection is lost.
- Runs on CR2032 coin battery included in the box. Battery life is approximately two years.
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Online support through the Aqara website.
- Attractive design with a white casing.
- Measures approximately 1.5 inches wide and 0.4 inches thick.
- Two-way tape to mount on objects, walls, glass, and other surfaces.
- Compatible with voice assistants.
- For indoor use only.
- Casing with anti-ultraviolet material offers long-term stability.
- Can adjust sensitivity to tilt, drop, and vibration.
- Immediate notification of a motion event.
When the alarm is triggered, a one-minute cool-down period ensures the sensor does not continue issuing alerts to the same event.
What Is A Vibration Smart Sensor Used For?
Vibration sensors are used by homeowners, businesses, and industrial settings. In industrial settings, vibration sensors monitor the amount and frequency of vibration in machinery, displaying real-time conditions that tell users about the condition and efficiency of the appliance.
Other uses include:
- Home security and surveillance
- Predictive maintenance in appliances
- Health and wellness monitoring
- Environmental monitoring
The Aqara vibration sensor is designed for home and office use, accentuating the conveniences offered by a connected smart home. The device offers a wide range of if-then scenes, allowing you to set trigger events that activate other connected smart devices. You can customize notifications for individual scenes and arrange notifications and interfaces with other devices.
How Does a Vibration Smart Sensor Work?
Vibration sensors measure the change in velocity of the vibrating motion of an object, which generates an electronic signal that is transmitted to your smartphone or other connected device.
The Aqara vibration detector includes a sensitive accelerator sensor that detects vibration, tilt, and drop. Motion triggers an alarm and notifies you of an unusual event on your smartphone.
The Aqara vibration sensor works with the Zigbee protocol, which powers the device with minimal energy usage.
Five Factors to Consider in Choosing the Right Vibration Sensor
- Cost: The Aqara Vibration Sensor costs $19.99, one of the lowest-priced vibration sensors on the market.
- Compatibility: The Aqara sensor is compatible with both Apple HomeKit and Android devices connected through an Aqara Hub. It requires Android 5.0 or later or iOS 10.3 or later. It is one of the few vibration sensors on the market that works with HomeKit.
- Ease of installation: The device requires an Aqara Hub. Pairing to HomeKit or the Aqara Hub is simple. After integrating it with the hub, you can connect it to other smart home devices and create scenes.
- Versatility: Users report a variety of innovative uses for the sensor, including as a home automation tool to coordinate with other connected devices.
- Sensitivity and response time: You can adjust the sensitivity to motion, drop, or tilt, which allows customization of scenes. Fast response times of alarms and push notifications make it one of the best vibration sensors for the money.
How Much Does A Vibration Smart Sensor Cost?
Aqara’s smart home vibration sensor sells for $19.99, one of the most affordable home vibration sensors on the market. Reviewers often purchase several devices to use in different scenes around their homes.
Where to Buy Vibration Smart Sensors
The Aqara Vibration Sensor is available worldwide through designated Aqara dealers and online retailers. Use the drop-down menu on the where to buy page to choose the continent or country where you live to find Aqara products near you.